18 PRE-INSPECTION CHECKLIST TIPS
1. Prune all outside plant growth surrounding your home – 12 inches
Cut out wild branches or broken branches from bushes, hedges, or anything near your home. Like a fresh haircut, the inspector will appreciate it.
2. Clean out all gutters
3. Clean off top of hot water heaters
4. Clean off top of furnace
It’s always good to ensure that HVAC is cleaned and well prepared prior to an inspector visiting your home.
5. Replace furnace filters
Clean airways are always a good idea and will help if the inspector notices that the filters are brand new.
6. Fix broken glass and torn screens
There’s a lot to say about clean windows and doors. Get them repaired!
7. Replace missing siding or tighten up siding
Ensure that you have a complete look to the exterior of your home – it’s the first thing an inspector will see.
8. Make sure smoke detectors and thermostat batteries are brand new
You need these to work if the inspector double checks this.
9. Replace burned out lightbulbs
This seems pretty commonsensual, but often enough, it doesn’t happen and the inspector dings you for it.
10. Tighten loose knobs, handrails, and doors
When everything is intact, the process is much easier.
11. No dripping faucets
12. Clean central air units outside
Keep things tidy – especially the outdoor AC until that most likely has leaves in it.
13. Remove yard waste and animal waste
14. Provide clear access to attics
15. Power wash driveway, patios, and decks where needed
Maybe even think about bleaching your garage floors.
16. Remove litter boxes, water bowls, and pet food dishes
17. Leave all warranty documents out
18. Make sure appliances are clean and working
Contact us for a personalized walk through to help prepare your house for the special first selling day!